Cabled headband





Having thick hair, I find that I only need to wear a hat when it is very cold indeed. I needed something lightweight to keep my ears warm when it's just a bit chilly, and realised the 25g ball of lovely soft angora I got at the Brocki a few weeks ago had found its calling.

My headband is about 50cm long before stretching, though my head is very large, so you will probably want yours a bit shorter, around 45cm perhaps. At the tension in the pattern, the cable section, worked over 16 rows, is 5cm long.

Yarn: Schulana Angora Fashion <100m
Needle size: 3.5mm
Gauge: 36 stitches and 32 rows to 10cm in 2x2 rib (though gauge not too crucial)

Cast on 32 with contrasting yarn (if you have a favourite provisional cast on, use that! I used a cable cast on, and had to clip lots of stitches when grafting the stitches together). Switch to chosen yarn for the rest of the pattern.

Row 1: (K2, P2) eight times
Repeat this row until you have reached a length of around 20cm, then work cable pattern as follows.
Cable row 1: (K2, P2) twice; C16F, (K2, P2) twice
Work seven rows in 2x2 rib (as per Row 1)
Cable row 2: (C16B) twice
Work seven rows in 2x2 rib (as per Row 1)
Repeat Cable row 1.

Continue in 2x2 rib (as per Row 1) until you have reached a length that fits your head, when stretched 5cm or so.

Pick up the stitches from the cast on end onto a knitting needle and remove the contrasting yarn with which you cast on. Using kitchener stitch, graft stitches together, being careful not to twist the headband.

Enjoy!



Comments

Popular Posts